Disinfectant spray is a substance sprayed on subjects or surfaces to kill or destroy microorganisms living on it. It is important to note that disinfectants does not kill every kind of bacteria, especially the more resistant strains. The active ingredients in the sprays either interfere with the metabolism of the bacteria or destroys their cell walls. The most common places disinfectants are used includes; hospitals, doctor’s rooms, dental surgeries, labs, kitchens, restaurants, hotels and bathrooms.Checkout disinfectant spray for more info.

The perfect disinfectant spray

The perfect spray should be able to kill or deactivate all types of bacteria and viruses. The spray should be inexpensive, non- harmful to humans and non-corrosive. The most import aspect though is the efficacy of the disinfectant, the perfect one will kill all bacteria in a short span of time. By killing the bacteria it prevents it from evolving and multiplying in numbers that are resistant to the original chemicals used in the kill attempt.

The types of disinfectants that can be used in a spray form

1) Air disinfectants. These are antimicrobials that can kill microorganisms while airborne. These types of disinfectants must be used in a spray or aerosol form, in a concentration high enough to actually kill the culprits.

2) Alcohols. Alcohols are often used in disinfectant spray the alcohol acts as a drying agent that dehydrates the microorganisms killing them. Alcohols are non-corrosive, protecting laminate surfaces etc, but sadly it also poses a fire hazard if it does not evaporate fast enough.

3) Oxidising agents. These agents like chlorine and oxygen works by oxidising the cell wall of the organism, leading the cell to its death. Oxidising agents are found mostly in household disinfectants. Some known oxidising agents includes, oxygen, ozone, chloramine, hydrogen peroxide, iodine and Sodium hypochlorite (bleach).

How do germs spread?

1) Touch. By touching another person, surface or object germs can be spread from one place to another. Studies found that bacteria can live on a surface like a restaurant for up to 2 hours and viruses 24 hours. Using a disinfectant spray on these surfaces reduces the risk of germ transfer.

2) Eating. Germs can be spread by raw, unwashed food, food that is improperly stored or already infected. The biggest culprit of food transfer is salmonella that can cause gastro, vomiting and gastroenteritis or commonly called food poisoning.

3) Drinking. Spread can occur through dirty contaminated drinking water, dirty glasses and sharing drinks.

4) Breathing. Airborne germs can be inhaled via talking, sneezing or coughing. Other than wearing masks, disinfectant spray is the only other measure to prevent the ingestion of viruses and bacteria.